We are Canada’s leading climate change policy research organization, producing the rigorous analysis and evidence-based recommendations that are needed to advance climate resilience, chart net zero pathways, and drive long-term prosperity. The strength of our work is rooted in our independence, in the diversity and depth of our staff, board and advisors in fields from climate mitigation to adaptation and clean growth, and in the breadth of the stakeholders and rights holders we engage through our research.
We are non-partisan, independently governed and a registered Canadian charity: 71860 4119 RR0001.
The Canadian Climate Institute is a member of the International Climate Councils Network (ICCN), an organization that facilitates collaboration and mutual support between Climate Councils from around the world.
The Canadian Climate Institute was established following a competitive request for proposals led by Environment and Climate Change Canada. That process resulted in a mandate to create a pan-Canadian expert collaboration that would “provide independent and expert-driven analysis to help Canada move toward clean growth in all sectors and regions of the country.” Our work is currently supported through a five-year contribution agreement with Environment and Climate Change Canada and a growing list of philanthropic funders. The Institute is an independent organization and retains full control over its research, findings, and policy recommendations.
The following organizations contributed to the development of the Canadian Climate Institute:
- ACT (the Adaptation to Climate Change Team), SFU
- Alberta Innovates
- Canada’s Ecofiscal Commission
- Canadian Energy Systems Analysis Research (CESAR)
- Centre for Indigenous Environmental Resources (CIER)
- Foundation for Environmental Stewardship (FES)
- Intact Centre on Climate Adaptation
- L’Institut de l’énergie Trottier (IET)
- Interdisciplinary Centre on Climate Change
- Ivey Foundation
- Labrador Institute
- MaRS Discovery District
- McConnell Foundation
- National Consortium for Indigenous Economic Development
- Northern Climate ExChange, Yukon College
- Pacific Institute for Climate Solutions (PICS)
- Prairie Climate Centre
- Smart Prosperity Institute
- SWITCH (L’Alliance pour une économie verte au Québec)
- Trottier Family Foundation
- World Resources Institute (WRI)